Cafe Racer Header

Frame ModificationsCB360 Frame

Stripping down the bike only took a couple of hours. The first thing to do with the frame was give it a good sandblasting to get rid of filth, chipped paint, stickers and rust. It was kinda fun but without a booth, the sandblasting media went everywhere. Once it was clean and shiny, I gave it a good coat of primer.

mounting tabsWith so many stock parts being tossed aside, there were a lot of mounting tabs and brackets that I could cut off, one by one, and then those areas ground smooth. It didn't take off much weight, maybe a pound at most, but it made the frame much better looking.

Now other stuff could be added or changed.

 

keyswitch

The stock keyswitch was located under the fuel tank, but I welded it beneath the seat, then added body filler around it to look like it had been there all along.

A bracket beneath the frame (not shown) was fabbed to hold the header. From above or the side, you can't see it.

Brackets for the rear brake cable assembly were added to the frame and the swingarm after a lot of fiddling and adjusting.

 

rearset bracketsrearset brackets

The original footpegs, as well as the passenger footpegs, were ditched in favor of rearsets (see the Rearsets page for those details) but brackets for them needed to be added.

These were made from 1/8" mild steel, then welded to the frame, along with little gussets on the back for extra strength. I can do halfway-decent welding, but for these I found a local welder who did a beautiful job.

 

painted frameWith all of that done, it was time for paint. I used rattle cans, laying on five or six coats of cherry red (which for some reason looks orange in this pic), followed by even more layers of clear for an amazingly bright and shiny finish. Other parts, such as the swingarm and headlight bucket, received the same treatment. I let everything cure for a week, then kept my fingers crossed as the assembly began. Much to my surprise, there were only a few tiny scratches at the end and were easily touched-up.